Translate

9 May 2021

Storm runner



 I drove the 395 kms from St George to Warwick today. It had been raining heavily for about an hour when I left St George. I had a schedule I wanted to keep but I had serious reservations about travelling in such heavy rain as the country is so flat it soon floods and with the Mini I could easily have found myself marooned in the middle of nowhere. Mini Roadside Assistance would not have been of any assistance.

For the whole journey the roads were almost totally deserted and I was pretty worried by the conditions for the first 2 hours but eventually I managed to outrun the massive storm front and hit dry roads and then when I started to relax I started to see a few kangaroos near the road so I had to keep my speed down. For the only time in the trip I was questioning the wisdom of coming in the Mini. On the stormy section because the side of the road was flooded and the water was rising rapidly for long stretches I had to drive down the middle of the road with the wheels straddling the centre line. The Mini should be renamed "Puddle Jumper".

Below is a quick grab shot through the windscreen of one of the Oversize loads I met on the dry part of the run. Even with the Mini I had to pull right off the road to avoid the parts of the implement on my side of the road. A bigger vehicle would have been bushbashing to get far enough over. 




No comments:

Post a Comment