Translate

6 May 2021

Over the border


 I drove the 253kms from Lightning Ridge to St George over the border in Queensland this morning. It's  a lonely drive with no phone signal so it's a good idea not to have a breakdown or accident out there. In 150kms I saw five other vehicles and four of those were heading south in the opposite direction.The one heading my way flew past me. I did let the Mini have its head on one very straight section. No comment on the speed I reached. 

It is extraordinary flat county. Nothing but scrub. No buildings. No people. Just vast open sky country. Cattle rearing country. Closer to St George and the river systems there is massive cotton cultivation using irrigation water taken from the river systems-water which should be allowed to flow to the starved rivers downstream. Growing cotton in a semi arid region using river water is verging on criminal.

Just over the border in Qld is the tiny settlement of Hebden with its outback pub and petrol station. And a sign warning of the max A$30,000 penalty for owning a rabbit in Queensland. Buy the kids a guinea pig.




No comments:

Post a Comment