Translate

3 May 2021

On the road


 I drove the 360kms from Dubbo to Lightning Ridge this morning. It has been a beautiful day. A comfortable 26ÂșC with just a few puffy clouds. With two stops I did it in 5 hours. There was practically no traffic. The speed limit is generally 110kmh on what are quite narrow country roads.

 Out here on the aptly named Western Plains it is very flat and there are long straight stretches of road where it is tempting to really put your foot down. However that dot on the horizon may well be Mr Plod in his brand new BMW Highway Patrol car so I did not give in to temptation. I set the cruise control for 115kmh and, of course, no sign of Mr Plod today

I did come across a few wide loads on the move, either silos on trailers, or big pieces of farming gear. The Mini is brilliant for getting past them even on narrow roads. It is very fast and small so can usually get past quickly and keep all four wheels on the tarmac.

I saw the abandoned buildings above beside the road. There are photo ops everywhere but with the long distances I cannot afford to stop for more than a couple on a journey.

Below a very impressive property sign-Fairlands. I should have put the Mini under it to give it scale as it is at least 8 metres high.




No comments:

Post a Comment