Translate

31 May 2021

Porsche thoughts


 I'm giving serious consideration to selling my 1971 Porsche 911. Obviously my personal trauma of the past 12 months has weighed heavily on me and for that reason I won't be making a final decision for a few more months. 

Buying the Mini Cooper S has put the fun back into my everyday motoring and much to my surprise after nearly 10000kms I am still breaking into a grin every time I drive it. It's true to say that the Mini has replaced the 911 in my personal automotive affections.

I have owned this 911 for 13 years and perhaps my enthusiasm is just naturally waning. Including the 911 I sold back in December I have owned early 911s for 21 years. A long time to mainatin an enthusiam for a hobby.

I am now finding driving the Porsche hard work. Maybe that's an age thing but also the traffic has become so much heavier, even here on the Central Coast, in the past two years. With its difficult gearbox, non servoed brakes, cable operated clutch, and absence of power steering and airconditioning the 911 is hard work to drive. And as the traffic gets heavier the 911 driving gets harder.

Finally maybe I've spent too much time in hospitals in the past 12 months but I'm now more aware about vehicle safety systems and the 911 has none. No airbags, no crumple zones, no collapsible steering column, no ABS, etc. In an accident there is little to protect me. 

My thoughts are still work in progress so we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment