Translate

7 May 2020

Travels past


Sitting here in Australia on a May afternoon it's really difficult to contemplate what the world will look like in 6 or 12 months. Even if a vaccine is developed for Covid-19 the aftermath of the lockdowns and the collapse of economies will be devastaing. Without a vaccine, well it's unthinkable.
There is a real possibilty that overseas travel from Australia, other than to New Zealand, may be very constrained for a long time so I am very fortunate that I have done so much travel particularly in the past 12 years. This afternoon I looked back through my photo catalogue and reminded myself of all the great trips and one shines as the absolute best-Oman over Xmas/New Year 2018/19. It was a long way to go for what was only a two week trip but it was well worth the effort. The people were so friendly, the scenery was superb and the itinerary was great.
One of Omani guides who showed us around grew up in the desert inland from Salalah in the south said that he could take me on a 3/4 day expedition into the Empty Quarter right upto the border with Saudi Arabia. If only. I would have loved that. Too late now and I am just too old anyway. My camping days are well behind me.
Here are some photos from that very special country.











No comments:

Post a Comment