Translate

27 Jan 2020

Capital times, sad times


I spent three days in Canberra last week. The purpose of the trip was primarily to see the Monet/Picasso exhibition at the National Gallery but I also went to the National Portrait Gallery to see the excellent Eye to Eye exhibition.


Whilst walking back to the National Gallery from the Portrait Gallery I decided to take a look into the High Court of Australia-a building I had never previously visited. It was the day after the very sad crash of the C130 Hercules firefighting waterbomber in the Snowy Mountains in which three American crew members were killed. As a mark of respect all flags on Australian government buildings were at half mast. I took this photo of the Australian coat of arms with the flag at half mast outside from inside the High Court building.

There were no other visitors in the High Court and the court was on summer recess. A  guide, Alison, gave me a really excellent  presentation on the workings of the Constitutional Court. Sounds dull I know but Alison made it really interesting. Many thanks Alison -pictured below.


No comments:

Post a Comment