Translate

10 Aug 2020

Postcard from Oman #1


 Although we are not in lockdown here in NSW we are restricted in where we can travel in Australia and we cannot leave the country. These restriction have me searching my files for worthwhile travel photos I missed the first time and there are quite a few. This is first of the discoveries.

This photo was taken on a late afternoon, golden hour, walk along the beach at Salalah, south Oman, back on New Year's Eve 2018.

The camel minder gave rides along the beach to tourists but he told me business was slow-"very slow sir". The hotels in Salalah were brimming with tourists -it was the peak xmas/new year holiday period-but very few tourists venture outside their hotels. The tourists travel from Europe for the sun and they plant themselves down by the hotel pools for their 6 or 12 days breaks and that's the limit of their interaction with Salalah or Oman which is a real pity because I found Salalah absolutely fascinating. The owner of the souvenir shop in the basement of the hotel told me that he saw very few tourists- but maybe they already had enough "stuff'' anyway.

I really feel for all the tourist operators around the world now, and in particuar those in places such as Oman, where there is no government income/business support to help them through the pandemic.

The photo was taken with my wife's Leica C, a competent, pocket sized, small sensor camera. I have a vague recollection that I was using the C that evening as the battery in my own camera needed recharging.

No comments:

Post a Comment