Translate

22 Aug 2020

An icy blast


There's an icy blast over South Eastern Australia this weekend and snow is falling on ground above 500 metres. It's cold and windy in Terrigal. The snowfields are getting a big dump.
 But it is the middle of winter here and I remember my visit to visit my daughter and family in Montreal in late November 2009. Now that was really cold. It was a fleeting, solo visit on a cheap fare. Val was not having a bar of that climate and Air Canada economy and stayed in nice, warm Terrigal. I was doing the Santa Claus run.

But as well the pleasure of seeing my daughter and family I really enjoyed going to an ice hockey game with Nick, my son -in- law. Now tickets to the Montreal games are very hard to come by but Nick managed to pull a few strings at short notice and we had great seats.

It was the only ice hockey game I have ever seen and I found it really exciting, hard and fast moving. No wonder the Canadians have never taken to cricket.

The local team, the Habs- the Montreal Canadiens- were playing the Washington capitals-the Caps. Ten minutes out from the end the locals were well behind and the disgruntled fans were streaming out of the stadium to make an early exit from the underground car park. Then the game suddenly turned around and the Habs took the lead and won in the final minutes. And many of the fans missed it.

We stayed until the end and although we had a long wait to get out of the car park we had the satisfaction of having seen the locals win.

I took my little Canon G7 to the game in my pocket and although it was a real stretch for its capabilities I came away with one action photo which is a great reminder of a really exciting event.

The odd white line which passes over the player's boot at the bottom of the photo is the top of the glass panel that surrounds the ice to protect the crowd from a flying puck.

No comments:

Post a Comment