Translate

20 Nov 2019

Slow mover

Eastern Snake- Necked Turtle. Approx 25cms in length.


During the recent road trip to New England-see story below - I was driving down a gravel road in the Oxley Rivers National Park when I spotted from a distance what looked like a large flat stone on the road but as I came close was I saw, much to my surprise, a tortoise. I managed to straddle it, stop and pick it up and put it on the verge and then took the above photo. A little further on the same thing happened. Another tortoise on the road. Same outcome. No flattened tortoises on my conscience.
However when I got home and looked them up I found out that there are no native tortoises in Australia and they were both Eastern Snake- Necked Turtles. What they were doing so far from water in very dry, drought impacted country I will never know. But at least they both had the good sense to cross a road where there was almost no traffic. If you are a slow mover it's best to stick to crossing the backroads.

No comments:

Post a Comment