Translate

28 Aug 2026

Bagan-at sunset

 

Another oldie from the library.

Bagan in Central Myanmar is definitely the most extraordinary place I have ever visited. It is a huge plain littered with thousands of temples ranging in size from very small to huge.

Sunset at Bagan is spectacular. We travelled on a minibus to a large temple and then we, and a large number of other tourists, had to climb up a very steep set of tiers to a flat platform to watch the sunset. The climb was precarious, actually downright dangerous. Not only was it very steep with no handrails but many of the spectators were young and only too willing to push people aside to get the best viewing spot and then when the sun had set to get down and onto to their bus.  I remember it well.

It was very hot and the air was very dusty which made the sunset yellow. 

I had exhausted the battery on my Leica X1 earlier in the afternoon but fortunately I had my backup Canon G9 with me and I used that to take this photo.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment