Translate

31 Mar 2023

Everything old is new again-Leica 3A.


 My 1937 Leica 3A has been renovated. I bought it back in 1967 and used it to take many photos of my early travels and my children growing up until it was replaced by an Olympus  OM2 in 1979.

Even when I purchased it the 3A was out of date and the market had moved to the new wonder cameras-Japanese SLRs but it was a Leica with a wonderful lens.

Until today I had not taken a photo with the Leica for over 40 years. It has stood neglected on a display shelf in my office in the old house for 15 years exposed to UV from the skylight and the salt rich air. It was in a sad and sorry shape but has now been completely stripped down, cleaned and serviced by a technician in Sydney. It looks like new.

I have just put a film into it and taken the first few test photos. First impression is that I am amazed that I managed to take so many good photos with it. It is very slow and difficult to use. I will persist-only 31 photos to go.

Watch this space on the results from an 85 year old camera.


No comments:

Post a Comment