Translate

10 Dec 2022

A golden oldie

 I purchased my Leica X Vario camera way back in 2014. The model was a commercial flop for Leica and it went out of production in 2016. By today's standards it is vintage with a "slow" zoom lens, only 16mp, a clip on accessory electronic viewfinder and shooting in the APS-C format.

Its biggest redeeming feature is that it takes stunning photos. The lens may be considered slow but the colour rendition and sharpness are outstanding and the straight from camera jpegs are superb.

I still really appreciate my X Vario despite owning a Leica Q2 and now a Lumix S5. I don't use it enough but this past year, due to the upheavals in my life, the same can be said for all my cameras. 

Leica have announced that they are no longer providing product support to the X range of cameras which is a pity as they still enjoy a cult following. My X Vario has had relatively light use but digital "rot" may still claim it and it would be sad not to be able to get it repaired.

I pulled it out today to shoot our two cats-Marvel and Smudge- enjoying the small garden in the new house.

Both photos are unprocessed straight from the camera jpegs shot at 70mm.



 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment