Translate

9 Nov 2021

Doing a Marie Kondo

 

Over the last three weeks I have systematically clearing out the house. Not I because I am planning to move but to clean out years of accumulated "stuff" and to give the house a fresh look. I have been doing a 'Marie Kondo'-moving out things which are no longer important to my life and which no longer bring me joy. See MARIE KONDO

It has gone well. I had an antique dealer in and they paid cash for things many of which I could have spent months selling on Ebay-or more likely not selling on Ebay. 

I donated my extensive library of motor sport and Porsche books to two (younger) enthusiast friends. Our very large library of novels, art books and travel and reference books has gone to the Lifeline book sale. 

The large library of cookery books remains intact as I am still cooking. My extensive and still growing collection of photo books has been retained-they still bring me joy.

Val's collection of buddahs purchased on our many travels in South East Asia is being given to a good friend who, by chance, has an interest in buddism.

My large accumulation of miscellaneous photographic equipment has been sorted into three piles. Firstly a small pile of current equipment. Secondly a pile of unwanted but usable gear which friend Wayne is trying to sell or donate for me and finally the third pile has gone into the garbage. 

In the garage were crates of "life memories" such as children's book and toys.They had been in storage for many years and despite being sealed in crates they smelt of mould so they have all gone.

One crate which was in good condition contained 1960's and 1970's clothing from Mary Quant and other trendy at the time labels-see photo above of MQ blouse being modelled by granddaughter Ellie.

I still have a little way to go but the whole exercise has been very cathartic. Marie Kondo is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment