Translate

26 Jan 2021

Australia Day 6.20am


 It's Australia Day-26th January-our national day. It's also very hot. Not quite scorching here in Terrigal where a light sea breeze is slightly taking the edge off the heat-but just a few kilometres inland it is a very different story. We have had 5 days of this hot weather and a cool change promised for late this afternoon will be very welcome.

It's a sad Australia Day for me. Not a day for celebration or even a family get together. Val is declining in respite care and I will visit her this afternoon. Son, Toby, is visiting her this morning. I am staying at home with Phoebe catching up on books and magazines, which are piling up unread, whilst trying to stay cool. 

Memo to self "do not buy any more books until you have read the ones you have bought in the past 6 months".

My enthusiasm for taking photos or writing for this blog or any other media has evaporated. A combination of the enforced stay at home and the all pervading sadness of Val's condition and trepidation about what the future holds.

I took a camera with me yesterday morning on my early morning walk in an effort to at least take one photo worth posting on the blog. I failed to take even one. This morning, discouraged by yesterday's lack of success, I just took my iPhone. I came back with the photo above-two girls looking at their phones-but of course-whilst in front of them is the wonderful seascape of Terrigal Beach, Wamberal Beach, Spoon Bay, Forresters Beach and Cromarty Hill.

Best wishes for Australia Day. Stay cool and stay safe.

Correction-since typing the above 30 mins ago the breeze has dropped and the outside, in the shade, digital thermometer is heading north. It's now 37ÂșC and climbing fast.


No comments:

Post a Comment